Sunday, June 07, 2009

Consumer Protections-Warning Restaurant Liquidators London Ontario

Emilio and I believe when someone does outstanding work for us to write an e-mail praising that person’s effort. We recently did this for our banker Cindy who went way beyond her duty to help us with our business account. We even decided to switch our mortgage provider to her bank and told her management she is the reason we do this.

In an early post I wrote about our equipment provider and referred to him as an angel, well he’s anything but…

We purchased used equipment because new equipment was way beyond our means. We would never be able to open the shop with all new. We found Restaurant Liquidators in London Ontario through an advertisement. They are far but we specifically chose them for their 90 day guarantee. We purchased ice cream dipping cabinet, two freezers, a display case, soft ice cream machine, two coolers and whip cream maker. The items were delivered to our shop on a Monday. In the mean time our hydro upgrade was still happening so we could not test all the machines until the weekend. Immediately three failed that we were able to plug into single phase outlets. We called Restaurant Liquidators and were assured they will fix them. As soon as we had the hydro completed we asked for Adam Soufan of Restaurant Liquidators to come to the shop to fix the machines, he arrived on the Saturday after the 3 phase upgrade was complete with a guy named Frank. He was able to fix the freezer in the back and the ice cream dipping cabinet but not the display case. He thought he fixed it and would not answer my calls for 3 days telling him it was not working. On the night before our opening he told me to get a repair person to come in and he would pay. He talked to the technician and the man told him what was wrong. We did and it cost over $1000. We covered the repair. Again for days he avoided my calls and e-mails. The day after we opened Kim (My Canada Included Justice) was helping Emilio and I at the shop and the soft ice cream machine backed up and shot chocolate ice cream in his face. It was hysterically funny. A little while later the machine shot chocolate ice cream all over Emilio’s back and the store. Luckily no customer’s were hit. It wasn’t funny anymore. So again I sent e-mails and called him often trying to get a response. We shut down the machine and never used it again. Then the second freezer started shutting down on it’s own in an extended defrost mode. This problem corrected itself days later, but we’re still not confident with it. Finally Adam Soufan called back again and tells Emilio he would only pay $500 for the over $1000 bill, I left him an angry message telling him he will pay the whole bill and that I want a refund for the soft serve. A week of no calls and or e-mails from him but lots from me. At this point we are open 8 days and the whip cream machine stops working. So I write e-mails and make calls again telling him 5 machines mechanically failed at one point or another. I want the soft ice cream and the whip cream machine taken away with a refund for them and the repair bill. Again days go by and he leaves an early morning message at the store knowing we would not be there. At this point we are calling from different phones so we can trick them into speaking to us. The most ridiculous call was a guy who answered that said “Adam is right here”, they have a conversation and comes back and tells me Adam isn’t there, I laughingly told him I heard them talking and to tell Adam I am suing him. I got a call back saying he wants to come up and fix the machines. I told him at this point I am not interested in any more machines fixed or replaced from Restaurant Liquidators.

I’ve given this man so many occasions to do the right thing and he refuses. I told him I planned a lawsuit and he kept buying time telling me he needs to speak to his partner, then to his receptionist. So tomorrow I advised my attorney to file the lawsuit for the equipment and loss in sales, So the lesson here is don’t fuck with Tom and don’t buy from Restaurant Liquidators in London Ontario. We’re just lucky the gelato and ice cream sales have been good despite these setbacks.

13 Comments:

At Sunday, June 07, 2009 6:48:00 PM, Blogger MSEH said...

I think I'm going to start a club for expats involved in lawsuits...

But, seriously, good for you for not letting 'em walk all over with you. Geez, some people's children.

 
At Monday, June 08, 2009 12:56:00 AM, Blogger West End Bound said...

"What MSEH said" . . . .

 
At Monday, June 08, 2009 12:03:00 PM, Blogger Kim_in_TO said...

You go!

 
At Tuesday, June 09, 2009 4:47:00 PM, Blogger Lunchtime said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Tuesday, June 09, 2009 4:48:00 PM, Blogger Harrison said...

That creep will get what he deserves sooner or later...do not worry and keep on moving forward.

 
At Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:39:00 AM, Blogger Tom said...

I am hopefully filing the lawsuit this week. Adam Soufan is a scumbag

Last night the hobart freezer broke down, we paid another $400 to fix it, plus lots of lost product.

 
At Sunday, August 02, 2009 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Javamaster said...

Tom, I too just recently purchased equipment from Adam and would love to take part in your Lawsuit. I was consistently promised that the espresso machine would not only be delivered and installed, but they would remove the old ones and fix one of them so I would have a back up. Well that was really nice of him…Anyway he pleaded about needing the deposit before installing it because his partner. I told him I am out of town for a couple of days and couldn’t have the espresso machine down as it is most of my business and gave him $1000 (n credit card). Well a couple of day went by, still promised that he would have it delivered and INSTALLED on Monday. That said, the machine was delivered that was it. After several phone calls to Adam on why he didn’t install it he promised he would be by to hook it up. I returned back and still nothing. A couple of more days went by (It was Thursday now) and John one of Adam’s associated dropped by, but couldn’t hook it up as it didn’t have the proper power…Long story short, John said he could run the proper power but it would cost me and he wouldn’t be able to do it until the next day. That said, Friday John showed, I paid him he ran the power, hooked up the machine and turned on the water. Nothing happened so we took the from panel off and WOW, a massive expansion crack in the tank, I have pictures. So the machine was not just filthy but know useless. I asked him why he told me he tested the unit BEFORE he delivered it, he said he did, finally it admitted he tested it last winter…
He promised to have another unit Deliver that night as I had an event that evening, but no Adam, no machine. Spoke to Adam again, who said the other unit also failed but he found another one that defiantly works and he was going to pick it up Saturday morning and install it that evening. Well 9pm Saturday, No Adam. Called he said I do have the machine, and he was on his way back to his shop to hook it up to double check to see if it works. He asked if it was all possible if he could install it Sunday as he was very exhausted. I being a very patient and fair individual said fine. He said he would be here by noon. Sunday noon, No Adam. Called and left well over a dozen messages on his cell. Finally Dave the GM answered his phone and said Adam wasn’t available, but he was working on my machine as it had a leak and not working. Well, that was the end of it.
Dave said they are more than willing to refund the money. But by this point, it is too late for that I told him as I was down for a complete week, and lost a lot of revenue not to mention the events and the lost sales there. I am a coffee shop with a competitor just around the corner; Guess who got the business…And I know have to try and locate another unit.
So Tom, please contact me and we can discuss it further. Oh yeah, when I mentioned your name to him, well, contact me and I will fill you in.

 
At Friday, October 02, 2009 4:04:00 PM, Blogger Shawarma man said...

Restaurant Liquidators have changed their name to "London Major Food Equipment".
I'm a supplier of food equipment and sold equipment to him for which he never paid.
Story is the same; numerous phone calls, left messages, etc. Adam calls back, says he'll be in town & will pay, doesn't show up, blah, blah, same crap.
I sent this company an email based on their add on Kijiji & was told not contact again with "unsavoury comments" because it is a new company, with new employees, I don't buy it.
Another supplier has told me that Adam keeps Incorporating the companies he opens to limit personal liability, and this is definately not the first time he has changed names.
Let me know if you plan on pursuing the law suit, you can only go after him & his assets, do not file against "Restaurant Liquidators" as it'll get you nowhere due to rights of corporations.

 
At Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:12:00 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Wow I didn't see these comments against Restaurant Liquidators until today. I wish Blogger would advise when we have comments.

Javamaster- I am so sorry I would gladly included you in my lawsuit. It turns out Adam didn't show up and I won. Please contact me at jerseytjs@yahoo.com if you read this.

Shawarmaman- I did file against the company. I was told I could not file against an individual because he is protected by his corporation.

 
At Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:07:00 AM, Blogger maheswari said...

I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog. I am appreciating your effort. .

Used Restaurant Equipment

 
At Monday, May 23, 2011 5:38:00 AM, Blogger srisang said...

Too many beautful themes to choose from. I adore them all.

Gelati Display Freezers

 
At Tuesday, July 05, 2011 12:17:00 AM, Blogger venugopal said...

Excellent view!Great Article.This is possible only when we have a good quality in Restaurant Equipment

 
At Monday, September 12, 2011 10:23:00 PM, Blogger Dee said...

Guy sounds like a creep. I was passing by this business tonight and thought I'd go in to see what they are offering. After reading your story? No WAY! Thanks for posting. It will help countless other people to not have to experience the kind of aggravation you've had to endure. Glad you won your lawsuit. Serves him right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home