Friday, January 22, 2010

Life Update

Emilio and I celebrated 8 years together on the 13th. We had a nice prime rib dinner at the Keg Mansion.

The store has been slow as we expected this time of year. We might close for another week in February. It's nice to get a break and why sit in a store with no customers? We know summer will be killer again just like last year. Emilio has been doing some really great thing with his cakes and I am so proud of him. He's learned so much and continues his culinary education.

We are honoured to be asked to be Godfathers again. Which in latin culture is a very big honour. Our employee Luis, who we actually think of as family now has a little brother and his Mom asked us. Emilio explained we are no longer believers but she wants us despite this. She feels we are great role models for her kids. So nice to hear that.

I spent some time reading our archives and found myself crying. I love that I recorded a bit of history of our life here and can share it with others. I think it is healthy to remember painful experiences, it makes your current everyday stresses lighter in comparison.

I was defriended again on facebook, I wear it as a badge of honor, you don't like me or my politics, then screw you! There are those of us who speak out for ourselves and others and there are those who don't out of fear. I have no respect for anyone being afraid to speak their mind and say nothing about injustices or abuses of power. Those people are the reason things like genocides happen all over the world, yet sadly these same people also seem to skate through life and obtain things easier than us loud mouths.

I had a wonderful discussion last night with a customer who used to be a member of parliament, he says he lost by 1800 votes because 10 years ago he refused to denigrate gays in his northern ontario riding. His opponent used god, gays and guns to win. We talked about US politics and me finding one Republican politician I liked, Lincoln Chafee, it turns out he actually knew Lincoln Chafee from horse shows. Very interesting man to speak with, he even met Bush when he was an advisor to Chretien. In tying this together with the above defriending, he does not regret doing the right thing and losing the election as I do not regret speaking out and losing friends. I am proud of it.

4 Comments:

At Friday, January 22, 2010 11:54:00 PM, Blogger Toma said...

It is good to here, and see, that things are working out so well for you both.

The blogs have become a tangible part of the memories of our journey. We help our fellow travelers along the way at the same time recording our own adventures. We update our facebook pages with tidbits of our lives, the blogs give deeper meanings to those bits. Thank you for sharing your bits!

We are not posting much on our US to Canada blog these days since that path has hit a road block. Instead, we have a private one for us to journal our US to UK dramas while J is in Manchester England.

We do, however, enjoy keeping up with you guys as our bi-national couple mentors. You understand the difficulties such relationships pose to the government of these united states. You two are such inspirations! Best wishes for continued love, and success on Sweet Creamery!

 
At Saturday, January 23, 2010 1:17:00 PM, Blogger Tom said...

I am so angry about what has happened to your application for Canada. It is the biggest reason I work to get this current government out of power and bring back fairness to the process.

I am stuck covering the store today and so bummed I am missing the anti prorogue rally. I hope these rally finally bring an end to the misery Harper has brought upon so many people.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 3:22:00 AM, Blogger West End Bob said...

What a nice post, Tom!

"drf" and I are glad you two are getting a bit of a break from the non-stop retail gig. We know how it is, as we've been there - hang in there, it's worth it with the quality product and service you two are providing to the community.

As for being "defriended": There's an easy solution to that situation - Don't join the social groups. We've not and it has not affected our lives one iota . . . .

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 6:25:00 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Hey Bob,

Thanks so much. We're hopeful we have a return of last summer's success. But with that comes working our asses off. I hope the store takes off. I never know how long my corporate job will be there.

I think FB has many good things like keeping in touch with family and friends, but it does have a dark side. I am spending less time on it now and just playing some games I enjoy during the slow store hours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home